Whilst ‘The Blog’ will remain the main means of communication on matters relevant to the whole club, we believe that there is room for ‘WhatsApp Groups’ on matters of interest to discrete sections of the club. For some time WhatsApp Groups has been used by the Prems and, more recently, within the Saturday As.
There are now 4 active groups within the Meridian Umbrella.
– Meridian P’s (Coordinator Peter Gray)
– Meridian Saturday A Ride (Coordinator Chris Simms)
– Meridian Sevenoaks (Coordinator Ken)
– Meridian Rouen (Coordinator Barry)
If these groups are successful then other groups could well be created, such as
– Meridian Bs
– Meridian Cs
– Meridian Sale & Wntd
What is WhatsApp?
An App available on Apple and Android Smart phones. It is not used on desktop PCs. It less formal, and easier to use than emails; it is has more features and less limitations than text messages (SMS). Messages can be sent to individuals or groups of individuals (within a WhatsApp Group). For normal messages it has the advantage of confirming that the recipient has both received and viewed the message.
To use WhatsApp you phone needs access to the internet using WiFi or Data Roaming.
How do I Join a WhatsApp Group?
1. You need to have a SmartPhone on which you have loaded the WhatsApp app.
2. If an existing group is relevant to your interests, then it is likely that you will be invited to join by the group’s administrator – problem solved.
3. If there is a group that you are interested in, and are not a member, then contact the group’s coordinator giving them your mobile number and they will arrange for you to be a member.
When to use WhatsApp
When there is an issue specific to that group (eg the Sat As don’t have a leader), or news only relevant to say the Rouen trip.
When not to use WhatsApp (Use The Blog Instead)
News that is relevant to the whole club eg
– Social Events
– Weekly ride reports including members riding and good/bad reports on the pub used.
– News items of general interest.
I’m getting tired of my phone ‘Pinging’
Within WhatsApp, go to Settings in top RH corner of screen, select Notifications and switch off ‘Conversation Tones’
Any other drawbacks?
Yes – you are in effect giving out your mobile number to other members of the group – you may not want this to happen, in which case delete your name from the group.
Yes – To participate you need a smartphone carrying the WhatsApp app; a significant proportion of members do not so enabled
I would like to volunteer to Coordinate a new Group.
Contact Barry or Ken
Role of the Group Coordinator
The person responsible for setting up the group and sending out invitations to join. They will also monitor entries and intervene if there is any ‘unsuitable’ content or postings that would be best placed on ‘The Blog’.
I Never Wanted to Join the Group in the first place – I WANT OUT!
Go to the group on your phone, Go to the 3 dots in top RH corner, select Group Info, go to the bottom of the screen and select ‘Exit Group’